Saturday, March 8, 2008

Our Garden



========================================================
At the beginning of February we started getting ready for our garden. For the last couple of years we have only done a container garden in Earthboxes, but this year we thought we would try to do it in the ground. Thanks to Oma and Granddad who gave us their tiller! Here are some pics of our yard after Justin tilled it up. I also had him till me an area by our fence for a flower garden. I planted some really old lily bulbs that I had in a pot that had belonged to Justin's Aunt Leuna from years ago. I also planted some gladiolas, freesias, and Cannas!!! I can't wait to see how it looks all bloomed out! I think I will plant some annual flowers in there around the bulbs until then. We tested the soil and it is basically devoid of all nutrients so we are going to have to fertilize like crazy. We really want to do everything organic. We are also going to try doing the compost pile thing. We had tried doing one in the past but did not do it right. So now that we have read up on doing it properly we'll have another go!!



It was such a nice day the kids came out and played. You know our crazy East Texas weather changes constantly. You can get spring like days in winter and really cold days when it is supposed to be warm! I like the change myself.










The kids helped me plant the seeds and we are growing them inside under lights until it warms up and they get bigger. We planted tomatoes, peppers, beans, several herbs, and some flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones