Monday, March 16, 2009

Farm and Gardening!

Since everyone in the world (it seems) is on spring break this week AND since we all have spring fever so bad...I have decided to do some light homeschooling. My mom is planning on taking Callie and James camping for a couple of days this week while I stay home and spring clean and organize.



Today we had a nice time visiting a friend at her farm! She is selling free range eggs that we are going to start getting! They are so yummy! Much better tasting and healthier than store bought eggs. We had so much fun petting all the animals. They have: horses, chickens, goats, ducks, bunnies, pigs, turkeys, cats, and a dog. Whew..I think that is all.



Then we came home and the kids played in the backyard while I planted some seeds in the garden. Last week I planted: lettuce, sugar snap peas, green beans, radishes, morning glories, sunflowers, and zinnias. Today I planted more radishes, spinach, and carrots. I started seeing my first lettuce sprouts poking through the soil today!!!



This year we are doing the square foot gardening technique. In the past we have always done the rows...so we will see how this goes. We also have some earthboxes that we put things in....usually all our tomatoes. I'm really excited about all the new things I'm going to try this year. I have always just planted everything all at once...but this year for the veggies that do well with this...I will be planting new seeds every two weeks so we will have a more spread out harvest! I also plan to plant: cantaloupe, eggplant, cucumbers, okra, and do tons of various herbs!! It just thrills me to work outdoors in nature and watch my garden grow!

2 comments:

  1. ohhh girl,
    Can I come over for some garden dinner?
    Sounds sooo yummy. I am container gardening this year and we will see how it goes.

    Stop by and see our blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun!! I would love to start that with the girls, maybe next spring. This spring we are doing bird feeders and building the swing set.

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones