Sunday, March 22, 2009

Slow Food


Watch CBS Videos Online

I have never heard of this woman named Alice Waters...but she sounds wonderful. I love everything she stands for and believes in. I hope this way of thinking sweeps the country! Yippy for President Obama for putting in that organic veggie garden! I found this video from a blog called Food Renegade from the Real Food Media website. The blogs listed on the website are WONDERFUL! I can't wait to dig in and start reading them.

I caught the fever of the traditional whole food mindset a couple of years ago and have slowly been dabbling in it. It is true that people are truly brainwashed to believe that this lifestyle is too hard or impossible. So not true. I feel that most people are unhealthy because they eat junk. Let's go back to how God intended our food to be.

Let's teach our children from an early age to grow as much food as they can themselves and and make better choices in what they buy. You can eat economically this way with a little preparation and planning. You can actually find some organic food for the the same price or even sometimes less if you look. I just joined a group where a lady is teaching us all the tricks of using coupons. I'm finding lots of coupons for organic products which will save me even more!! Cooking things from scratch with healthy ingredients can be much cheaper than eating out at fast food restaurants or buying unhealthy boxed chemical laden foods.

Please don't freak out when you hear the words "from scratch." It sounds horrifying to some people. I did not grow up eating this way at all and no one sat down and taught me. I am slowly teaching myself a little at a time. Don't do it all at once! Do one thing at a time and once that habit is established, add on another one....take it slowly...baby steps! Trust me I still eat out and eat junk food sometimes...I just have a rule that I *try* not to bring it into the house.

The interviewer in the video makes a big deal about the fact that Alice does not have a microwave....well neither do I, and I have not missed it. I am learning to make my own "fast food" by cooking things we eat a lot of in big batches and freezing them. Like yesterday I made a big batch of chicken stock, used some to make soup and then froze the rest for later use! The other day my husband paid me such a compliment by saying that my meals have been tasting so wonderful lately! I told him...it's all in the homemade stock! And really.....it's so cheap to make...You just use your leftover chicken bones and throw in some veggies!!! So healthy for you and makes your house smell great while it is simmering all day!

What's the big deal in waiting an extra 10-15 min for something to be heated up in the oven or in a saucepan, as opposed to the 1-2 min nuke in the microwave. I'll take my nutrient dense food wait over the one min dead food any day of the week!

Yes busy moms, it is possible! It won't hurt your kids to wait a little extra for healthier food. Kids need to learn more patience these days and not have instant gratification all the time anyway :) Or if you're really in a bind and they are screaming, "Mom I'm hungry I can't wait!".... and you just can't take it anymore..try giving them some of God's fast food, you know an apple, banana, glass of healthy milk. Boiled eggs are a really cheap and very healthy snack or meal! I keep a bowl of them in my fridge for ready made snacks!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post.:DIt's a great one and ohhhh soooo true

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, I am so wanting to go this route, but I feel overwhelmed by it. I love the fact that you say over and over that you are doing it a step at a time. This makes me realize how much pressure I put on myself to GET IT all at once or just quit. Thanks for making that point. I have trying the coupon thing. Who is teaching you about that. Will she share? I would love to hear about that as well. Keep posting like this. You are encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What's the big deal in waiting an extra 10-15 min for something to be heated up in the oven or in a saucepan, as opposed to the 1-2 min nuke in the microwave. I'll take my nutrient dense food wait over the one min dead food any day of the week!"

    My issue was not the wait - unless I was on lunch break - my issue was that it made my alfredo sause runny...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, I love cooking from scratch!!

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones