Thursday, July 10, 2008

Republican Convention

In June I went to the Texas Republican Convention as a delegate alternate. It was an interesting experience. I did get to vote a couple of times on the last day when some of the delegates went home early. Besides learning more how the political process works I would have to say the highlight of the trip was hearing Ron Paul speak and having him sign my copy of his new book!!!



Notice in the above picture I am wearing a shirt that says "The GOP Rules...Let's follow them" which means: Let's follow the GOP rules. After I got home I thought that people might have taken the shirt to mean, The GOP is cool...let's be cool like them. The whole point of wearing the shirt was to point out that the GOP has a hard time following the convention rules and we want to change that. However...they pulled the same "good 'ol boy tactics" If you're interested in what I'm talking about see the Fair Convention website.

Dr. Paul with his Sister-in-law



I'm sad that he dropped out of the race, but he has started a new organization called Campaign for Liberty in which he plans on spreading the message of freedom and supporting like minded candidates.


Now I am left with the problem of who to vote for in November as apparently Texas does not count write in votes. I have really been considering Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party. Everything I have read so far sounds like what I believe in. Some have been considering Bob Barr of the Libertarian Party, but I have heard some negative things about him that I will have to investigate further.

I no longer believe that I should vote for the lesser of two evils but should whole heartedly vote my conscience. How else will we bring about true change in this country and let people know that we have a mind of our own and can think for ourselves?! Of course I am not stupid to think that a third party candidate could actually win at this point in the game..not when the media and the other two parties do everything in their power to stifle them. But maybe one day.....that is what we have to work for. Or maybe the Republican Party will actually be changed by committed people who will bring it back to it's roots of liberty. Either way is fine by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones